Tabs

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Watchers

Ch. 2

I ran as fast as my four legs would take me but it seemed that the longer I ran, the closer the menace behind me got. I knew I couldn’t get into my house because my family had this ridiculous obsession with closing doors; but if I could at least make it to into the bright porch lights, that might get it off my tail.

I buckled down and gave I my all toward the light with all the strength I had left in me. I skidded into the lights and turned around to face my pursuer, my back arched and my fur standing on end. I let out a bright hiss to let it know that now I was ready to face it. I stared into the blackness I had emerged from but nothing moved, nothing approached, it was still as if I had imagined this chase. A dead leaf scuttled across the pavement breaking the deafening silence and slowly dying away replaced by a deep chuckle.

“What’s wrong little kitty?” the deep dark called out.

I growled low at the bodiless voice, it chuckled back in response.

“Oh, ho, ho. Think you can evade me with a little light?”

I tried to respond but my voice had frozen in my throat and only a meager half squeak mad it out. I backed up till I was pressed against the side of the house. The light glinted off a pair of murderous black eyes, highlighting a blood red ring in the center. I backed up further into the wall desperately trying to become part of it. Another low chuckle rumbled out from the direction of the approaching eyes, slowly it was accompanied by a nose black as the darkness it came from. Yellow teeth cast into a wicked smile that came to sharp white points at the end came next causing my body to seize up in fear. All ability to move or make a sound of desperate help vanished in the sight of those horrific teeth, teeth that could rip out a dog’s throat…

Suddenly the front door opened casting a new warmer light upon my rigid body, a huge silhouette framed in the doorway. The sudden appearance of a new force made me jump a turn my back to the hideous teeth. Realizing that I had just made a critical error in my movements I jumped back to face the teeth. Booming laughter coming from the doorway jarred my brain out of its trance. I ran pell-mell to the door and past the giant legs into the safety of my house. I hadn’t realized that I was holding my breath during the whole showdown until I made it inside and collapsed on the living room floor in a heap letting out a staggered breath.

“Looks like the cat’s had and adventure” the big voice commented to 2 other family members in the room as he shut the door behind him.

‘CH! An adventure!?’ I thought to myself as I lay sprawled out on the carpet trying to catch my breath. ‘Those humans think they are so safe. They have no idea what we felines do to keep them safe from…’

Well from whatever was outside. I wasn’t sure what it was I had just faced down, but it sure was not good. Sooner or later I was bound to find out what it was that was prowling our once peaceful neighborhood. Hopefully it would be later rather than sooner.

No comments: