Tabs

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Today is cinnamon roll day!!

A group of us made these delectable goodies today to share with each other (and the world) our products.

After a long morning i finally started my rolls! Alexis suggested using a little more flour than what it called for because they were really sticky. (Thanks Alexis :) )



To make my cinnamon rolls more personalized I added chopped walnuts. I don't usually like nuts in my food but I thought i'd try it out.



Here are my cinnamon rolls all cut out and put in my pie dish! I discovered I really need more counter space. I didn't have quite nine cinnamon rolls and they were kind of small but I didn't have a lot of space to stretch them out.



20 min later the delicious aroma of cinnamon and brown sugar filled the air and 30 min later delicious cinnamon rolls came out. Which I promptly drizzled my icing on! Mmmm...they are so good!



I think that I would add more cinnamon and nutmeg (which I didn't have today) to the filling and more brown sugar to the dough. Just a hint.

Here is the recipe for those that wish to make some! It is so super easy and i have a feeling that the basic dough recipe can be used for other things.


_____________________________________________________________________________________
Recipe:

Quick Cinnamon Biscuits

Adapted from The Moosewood Collective’s “Moosewood Restaurant New Classics”

Yield: 9 biscuits

Cinnamon Sugar Filling

1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Biscuit Dough

2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Icing

6 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
4 to 6 teaspoons milk or heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2. For the Filling: In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.

3. For the Dough: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups cream, and stir until the dough forms a ball, about 1 minute. With your hands, fold the dough over a few times in the bowl, until the dough is smooth.

4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly flour your hands, and pat the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick rectangle, about 9 X 13 inches. Brush the surface of the dough with the remaining tablespoon of cream. Sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar topping.

5. Starting from the long side, roll the dough into a cylinder. Slice into 9 equal rounds. Place the rounds, cut side down, into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish or a pie plate. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the biscuits are lightly browned.

6. For the Icing: While the biscuits bake, mix together the confectioners’ sugar and milk or cream until smooth. When you remove the biscuits from the oven, immediately drizzle them with icing. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Melissa K. said...

They look great! I wish that I had thought about adding walnuts! Yum!

Alexis said...

Walnuts! I am so happy to see you branch out and try something different. I am so glad you had fun and they look so yummie...I bet Brandon gobbled them up. :)